Wednesday 18 April 2012

Tacoma Narrows Bridge

Thought I'd share with you all one of my favorite videos from grade 11 physics. We didn't watch this *exact* video of the 1940 tacoma bridge collapse, but this video is better, and provides some explanation in the content.


In my physics class, this was explained as a result of resonance between the wind, and the bridge, generating waves of increasing amplitude until the whole structure finally just gave in and collapsed. Apparently, this is not accurate. For a more accurate discussion of the cause (because I know I'll screw up the explanation), I suggest you read the wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacoma_Narrows_Bridge_(1940)

Also, this has to be one of the most famous small dog deaths in history. . .poor Tubby, but kudos to the professor who tried to go back and save him 


No comments:

Post a Comment